San Marcos Hidden Gems
San Marcos is at the center of everything that’s great about Texas, and we don’t want you missing out on any of it! We have all the comforts of a big city, but also cling to our roots with local retailers and hometown pride. There are cool rivers to float, nearby college sports to watch, and music venues galore. And don’t even get us started on the barbecue.
To make it easy, here’s a quick list of some of our favorites.
- The Root Cellar, some of the best sandwiches around and a delectable bakery to boot
- Hays County BBQ, try the true Texas barbecue—sliced beef brisket
- Palmer’s Restaurant Bar & Courtyard, get some upscale fare with filet medallions and calamari
- Alexandra’s House, an airy bed and breakfast on five wooded acres
- Crystal River Inn, history and luxury are combined at this 1883 Victorian inn and garden complex
- Lime Kiln Bed and Breakfast, enjoy the Hill Country in a relaxed, perfectly located setting
- The Wittliff Collections, home to the Lonesome Dove Collection, among others
- Wimberley Glassworks, Texas’ premier hand blown glass lighting and art glass studio, which also hosts daily glass blowing demonstrations
- The Meadows Center, learn all about the historic Aquarena Springs park and tour Spring Lake on a glass bottom boat or kayak
- San Marcos River, enjoy a dip in the water or explore it by tubing or canoeing
- Rio Vista Falls, connect with nature by visiting this 14-acre park
- Purgatory Creek Green Space, hike along the creek which includes upland meadows, canyon bluffs of 40 feet or more, dense juniper thickets, and champion oaks
- Cheatham Street Warehouse, a rocking Texas honky-tonk since 1974
- Gruene Hall, a classic Texas dance hall featuring a variety of musical acts nightly
- Texas Music Theater, this historic downtown building is a world-class listening room with state of the art acoustics with room for up to 1,000 fans
- Centerpoint Station, a little bit of fun for everyone on your shopping list and with a delicious burger joint attached you can recharge with delicious homemade recipes
- San Marcos Downtown Square, it’s the perfect place to shop local and find unique gifts and trendy boutiques
- San Marcos Premium Outlets, one of the city’s most popular destinations
Planning your next San Marcos adventure? The City’s Visitor’s Center always has great ideas for an escape to the Hill Country, view the calendar of events at toursanmarcos.com.