You’ve got a whole bunch of friends and family in town. You want dinner to be fun. Get-your-hands-dirty kind of sharing fun. We’ve got just the thing: Soft tacos with all the fixins.
Start with this great recipe for Slow Cooker Caramelized Pulled Pork — so you can be out having hiking, swimming or playing pickleball while the meat cooks down to total deliciousness. It takes just a few minutes to heat your tortillas – preferably in stacks of two at a time in a cast iron skillet. Then pile the table with bowls of salsa, pico, chopped avocados, cheese, whatever you like. Bring out some Topo Chico Mineral Water or your favorite Mexican beer, and you’ve got a fiesta.
Pulled Pork with Caramelized Onions
- Makes 8 servings, about 1 cup each
- Active Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 5-9 hours
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or blade (butt) roast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar, such as Demerara or turbinado
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup chili sauce, such as Heinz
- 1 1/2-3 teaspoons minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 6 minutes. Add sugar and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes more. Add garlic, oregano, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add vinegar and bring to a boil. Cook until mostly evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in chili sauce and chipotle to taste.
- Place pork in a 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker and cover with the sauce. Cover and cook until the pork is almost falling apart, about 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low.
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Stir back into the sauce.